Thursday, June 4, 2009

Gaggle of Geese

One Girl's Ride

Paddling around the other morning I ran into even more friends on the river. You may remember my recent post about the freshwater eel. Well the other morning I was cruising along, psyched up for another morning of paddling when I saw a gaggle of geese up ahead.

A gaggle, really. I mean like 40 or 50 of them, all hanging out making merry, squawking away.

So I thought, no biggy, I'll just paddle right around them. The river is about 35 feet across at this particular point. I'm getting close and all 50 eyes are now turned and watching me. Very self conscious moment. Umm do I have something on my face?

A few of them start fake charging me, sort of hopping out of the water, wings flapping, beaks jabbering. I scream of course. I'm one of those people. Plus, I get pooped on by birds all the time and the situation was smelling like I would soon be covered.

So now the entire gaggle starts to get worked up and all crazy flapping their way out of the water right next to my head. Luckily I managed to hold onto my paddle and keep my green pickle kayak upright. But, really- this little river is getting a bit too crowded lately.

Speaking of a gaggle of geese have you heard of any of these groups before?

A turn of turtles
A murder of crows
A bike of wasps
A drift of quail
A glaring of cats

more fun groups of critters here.

1 comment:

Trisha said...

I like a bike of wasps, of course. And glaring of cats seems very appropriate!