Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Day Seven: Bicycle Touring Maine

Trenton, Maine - Belfast, Maine

Mileage for Total the Day: 47 miles
Total Trip Mileage: 301 miles

There aren't many photos to show you from this day, because when we woke up it was pouring. In fact, in poured throughout the night very loudly on our tent. There were three of us left, two making their way inland to a family camp and myself riding as far back south as I could until my boyfriend picked me up on the road.

When we first woke up, the rain was so torrential and the sky so foggy that the two other woman were talking about only riding to Ellsworth, not to Bucksport. This would mean that I would spend nearly the entire day biking alone. While most of my training miles for the trip were biked alone, I still wasn't ready to break from the pack mentality.

Wet Tents in Acadia

The rain lightened up enough during our ride that they decided to try for Bucksport together. We made it there quickly since the three of us that were left on the ride are all pretty serious cyclists. I spent close to an hour in the Dunkin Donuts there, waiting out the pouring rain that had caught back up to us and then finally decided to make a break for it.

I pedalled the rest of the miles myself, until my boyfriend picked me up on the side of the road outside of Belfast. If I had a nickel for everytime I had him pick me up somewhere crazy or bail me out of some crazy scheme I would be rich. Good thing he likes to drive.

2 comments:

Red Bike said...

I'm sat staring out of my office window while day-dreaming of my next cyclo-tour.

I have already put the 'campfire pizza'ingredients on my shopping list.

scrapworking said...

My best friend lives in Bucksport and I know exactly where that DD is! I know all that rains been a nightmare up there. Sounds like a great ride/week though!

Sharon in FL