Thursday, August 27, 2009

Still Chasing Summer

I don't know about you all, but I am still determined to chase down summer- for as long as possible. So what that it is almost September right?

Looking Up

Fall means beautiful, cool weather for New England and it looks like we'll be getting a taste of it this weekend. I enjoy fall. Really I do. But it also makes me nervous.

You see, last winter I fell into the responsibilities trap. You know the trap. Things like work, school, cleaning the apartment, holidays. Commitments and responsibilities almost sucked the life out of me last winter. I gained lots of weight. I ate lots of white, bland, comforting food.

This year I've decided I am going to keep living summer all winter. I'll be somewhat responsible- sure. I mean I really have to be at this point. There are things like a dog, a boyfriend, and an almost complete graduate degree that require me to be. But at the same time I am going to be careful to make more decisions that are important for being happy.

My feet in the Pemi

Maybe it will mean a B in a class (believe it or not, if you get below a B- at my grad school you have to retake the class). Maybe it will mean a messy apartment and not being completely prepared for everything all the time. I'll be having to take more chances.

So how will all these ideas be accomplished? I'm hoping by starting with these things:
  • Keep riding my bike at least through December- three times a week
  • Strength training because my knees and back hurt me when I play outside. And I'm sick of it.
  • Walk my dog three miles everyday. Everyday.
  • Eat at least 2-3 servings of vegetables and fruit a day. I've recently discovered how affordable frozen vegetables are, so this just may be achievable.
  • Be outside. Just because I really have to be.

2 comments:

jumbly said...

I like your list of aims, they sound really manageable which is a good way to stay positive. No matter how bad things get, going out for a walk with a dog guarantees a smile.

Betty Mountain Girl said...

Agreed!