Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Hunting Season

The hunting season is upon us again. The one time of year that I spend considerable time deciding if I will brave the elements. Sure I complain a lot when it is buggy, hot, or too cold, but in the end I suffer through it with a smile. Hearing gunshots over your shoulder is a whole different ball game.

Misty Flying by the Leaves

My attempts at avoiding being shot by overzealous hunters are mainly by wearing bright colors. I wear my bright yellow cycling clothes and Misty dons this little orange Ruff Wear vest.

Misty on Trail

When we bought it the guy at EMS said, "You have a dog?"

"Yup," I answered. "It's a dog vest, ya know."

"Right," he said. "Except last week we had a couple who were trying to put it on like it was a running vest. Just wanted to check and make sure you actually had a dog."

We both agreed that those people shouldn't be allowed to run anywhere near a road.

Fall Walk

4 comments:

Richard said...

The dog looks good. It's a very sporting vest.

Memories Of Mine said...

For a moment I though you were hunting but you are avoiding being the hunted. Very wise.

Funny story. Agreed these people should be running anywhere near the road.

kate said...

frightening stuff!

...is misty a hunting/gun dog?

Betty Mountain Girl said...

Thanks richard! Liss- Isn't that story fun! I always chuckle when I imagine a nice couple from the city trying to wear a dog's jacket :)

Kate- Misty's a hunting dog by breeding, but not by choice. We don't hunt and when we are in the woods and she hears gunshots she starts shaking and wants to go home. She does really, really enjoy going after any birds or small animals that are on the ground though. Points them out and then chases them up a tree. :)