Monday, July 23, 2012

What is the 4,000 Footer Club?

If you have been following my blog you know that my 2012 mission is hiking all of New Hampshire's 4,000 footers... Lately I've been getting a few inquiries from followers in other areas of the country that want to know more about this mission and what I have deemed "The List."

The List is essentially becoming a member of the AMC's 4,000 Footer Club. This club consists of hikers that climb all 48 of New Hampshire's summits that are 4,000 feet above sea level. To qualify for this particular list the summits must be "200 feet above the low point of a ridge that connects to its highest neighbor" (The 4,000 Footers of the White Mountains, Steve Smith).

Truthfully there are dozens if not hundreds of peak baggers that are more notable than I. There are the oldest, the youngest, and the hairest (Atticus from Following Atticus).

The actual peaks themselves range from tallest (Mount Washington at 6,000 plus feet) to the shortest being close to 4,000 feet (Tecumseh).

Some have amazing views (Lafayette) ....

Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

....and well unfortunately there are a few with no views (E. Osceola)...

Approaching East Osceola

People have many different reasons for attempting the List. For me it is all about regaining myself mentally, physically, and well working on my singing voice....

Peak Bagging Song from Betty on Vimeo.




No comments: